Sunday, September 21, 2008

Always Be Prepared for Business!

This is an article I wrote a while back that was featured in the company newsletter. (The name of the company, of course, has been removed.) Hope you enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were on trial for being a company rep, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

1. If you are talking to someone and she asks you for a catalog, what is your first thought?

A. "All of my stuff is at home! Oh no!"
B. "I don't have any catalogs! I need to order some!"
C. "I have 5 in my purse. And biz cards and samples, too!"

2. How many samples/biz cards did you give out today?

A. 1
B. "What cards and samples?"
C. I gave one to everyone I met today!

3. You meet a great prospect for your biz! You need to get her name and number to follow up with her! What do you do?

A. Scramble around for a scrap of paper and a pen. Now where are they???
B. "I'll just keep it in my head. I won't forget."
C. You pull out your memo pad and pen from your Prospecting Kit that you keep in your purse and jot down her info and make notes.

I have a local entrepreneurs group, so I am constantly looking for ladies to invite to the group. I am shocked at how many WAHM's are totally unprepared for business! No cards, pen, anything!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Prospecting Kit is a clear cosmetic bag (about 4 x 6 inches)that contains the following:

20 scent samples attached to biz cards (my goal is to give them all out by the end of the day)

2 pens (in case one runs out of ink)

small memo pad (3 x 5 - to write down info)

5 gift certificates (I give a gift certificate [along with a sample and a biz card] in addition to a tip to waitresses, etc. They work GREAT! You can buy some at an office supply store or make your own. I make my own.)

5 catalogs (but I only give them out if I have a really interested prospect and I have contact info so I can follow up)

pocket calendar (to schedule parties/shows/etc.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps everyone! Remember: always be prepared for business!

1 comment:

Editor said...

That is AWESOME! I think it clearly helps people to define and realign their mindset. I think people think they are in business, when really, they aren't proactive.

That was a great wake up call, so thanks!

L.