Sunday, September 21, 2008

The True Cost of Working Outside of the Home

Many women work outside of the home because they feel it is their only option - single moms in particular feel the pressure to work outside of the home, since they are often the only source of income for their family.

I used to be a single mom. For six years, I supported myself and my two children by working from home. On paper, I could have (perhaps) made more money by working a job outside of the home, but the difference would have been in how much I kept.

Consider the costs involved with working outside of the home:

1. Child care - This expense alone can eat up half of your paycheck.

2. Gas - No doubt that this is a hefty expense, too.

3. Car insurance - Did you know that your insurance can go down if you don't commute to work? Mine did.

4. Clothing - Pantyhose alone cost me a fortune. (I can't seem to wear hose for more than 2 minutes without running them. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!) Add to that all of the dressy clothes you need for office work, and it is a hefty sum.

5. Lunches, coffee, etc. - A few dollars here and there add up!

And let's not forget another cost - time. Time to commute. Time the kids stay in daycare. Time you can never get back.

If you are working outside of the home, sit down and see what your true take-home income is.

You might be surprised.

No comments: